Monday, October 7, 2013

Week 2 in the Field

Hey guys, it's Monday, which means you all get to hear from me. Lucky lucky you! Just kidding, I'll try to make this email worth your while.

This week I have settled in a little bit and have gotten used to the schedule. For the first time in my life I am usually asleep by 10:45 and wake up before the alarm at 6:30, so there's something no one would ever think would happen. We are constantly going; we are supposed to finish our daily planning in a half hour, but for some reason we can never get it to that, and it's more like an hour. When lights are out at 10:30 it limits preparing for bed and journal writing. I have written in my journal twice this whole time I've been here! So hopefully I don't miss out on anything important.

On Tuesday we got to go on "exchanges" aka splits.  Hermana Carlson is a sister training leader so she had to go to a meeting with Hermana Lister's companion (who is Hermana Watkins old comp), so Hermana Watkins, and I got to travel back to her old area (the ghetto) and ride our bikes! The first time in the mission! Not gonna lie, the half hour of exercise we're required to do in the morning is done at the bare minimum by me (shocker I know) so I was a little out of shape... Okay, a lot. But it was fun nonetheless. The members and investigators in that area are a little more loving towards us then the ones in our area. So it was fun and I really enjoyed the people.

Our investigator, Junior (the one who was baptized but didn't show up to get the Holy Ghost) has basically flipped since I first met him. He was able to receive the Holy Ghost on Saturday night but before that I had watched him progress. We explained visually that baptism was the doorway, and he was standing in the doorway, but he needed the gift of the Holy Ghost to get through the door.  When he got through the door he could see a picture of Christ, and we taught him to always strive for The Savior. It was a really good lesson.  Since then I've seen much change in him. He's reading his scriptures and is even memorizing a scripture to help distract him from his old habits and temptations. I can see the light of Christ in him, and I honestly love it.
  
We also have a new investigator that I just know was prepared for us. We taught her for the 2nd time last night. She is a new mom who is working and going to school. She had a really hard life growing up; her mom had some really harsh drug addictions and things like that. She went between her parents’, grandparents’, and friends’ houses and has experienced cancer and depression, but she is so positive. She knows that God is there because despite all the bad in her life she has seen more miracles. I look at her, and I see so much potential. I am so excited to teach her.
   
General Conference was great as well! I got to watch 3/4 in English, but unfortunately the one I watched in Spanish was the session when President Monson spoke. So hopefully I'll get an Ensign or something to read it. I loved how they talked so much on member missionary work (nudge nudge) haha so just think about that...

Hermana Carlson meditating (really! not a joke!)

My bitten legs (they're a lot worse than they look in the picture)

How we have to do our laundry

Me, Hermana Watkins, and Hermana Lister getting ready to bike for the first time
My Spanish is going alright, but I'm working on it. I just get really nervous talking to members because they are always correcting me, BUT I'm working on it. I just want you all to know that my testimony was confirmed this weekend. I know that we have a living prophet on the earth today and that he receives revelation for the world and it's problems today. I know that I am serving the Lord in the best way possible. I love you all and hope you have a good week!


Hermana Groves

No comments:

Post a Comment